The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ds5555 (4) [Avatar] Offline
I am reading my way through this one and also working my way through Craig Walls' 'Modular Java' at the same time, and have some (probably ignorant) observations.

1) The Wall book uses equinox and the pax tools, It would be nice if you were to run your examples in Felix to provide a contrast.

2) I am finding that a major problem in running the Walls examples is integrating non-OSGI jar files into OSGI. There are ways to do this, either embedding the jar into another jar which has an OSGI manifest, or wrapping the non-osgi jar. There is a pax tool which unjars the old jar and adds OSGI entries into the manifest.

All this is very good, but it appears that many jars depend upon other jars, and many of those jars have dependencies, etc ad infinitum. Not all of these dependencies are OSGI-friendly. In the real world working with OSGI developers are going to be obliged to debug these kinds of problems and work out how to fix them. It would be nice if you could show multiple examples of how this kind of debugging works. Where to go for information about dependencies, how to work out what is going wrong when OSGI is silent, etc. We could use working examples but also examples showing how to take real-world jars and OSGI-ify them, working through the steps needed to do this in some detail.
richard.hall (87) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Some general suggestions.....
> I am reading my way through this one and also working
> my way through Craig Walls' 'Modular Java' at the
> same time, and have some (probably ignorant)
> observations.
>
> 1) The Wall book uses equinox and the pax tools, It
> would be nice if you were to run your examples in
> Felix to provide a contrast.

We will definitely be using Felix by default, but our approach will still make it possible to easily use any framework. Framework neutrality is the "OSGi way". smilie

> 2) I am finding that a major problem in running the
> Walls examples is integrating non-OSGI jar files into
> OSGI. There are ways to do this, either embedding the
> jar into another jar which has an OSGI manifest, or
> wrapping the non-osgi jar. There is a pax tool which
> unjars the old jar and adds OSGI entries into the
> manifest.
>
> All this is very good, but it appears that many jars
> depend upon other jars, and many of those jars have
> dependencies, etc ad infinitum. Not all of these
> dependencies are OSGI-friendly. In the real world
> working with OSGI developers are going to be obliged
> to debug these kinds of problems and work out how to
> fix them. It would be nice if you could show multiple
> examples of how this kind of debugging works. Where
> to go for information about dependencies, how to work
> out what is going wrong when OSGI is silent, etc. We
> could use working examples but also examples showing
> how to take real-world jars and OSGI-ify them,
> working through the steps needed to do this in some
> detail.

Yes, we are trying to cover these sorts of issues too.