The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

tempusfugit (144) [Avatar] Offline
5.2.3 Using tuples compositionally (p.111)

"val printMessage : int * int -> string -> unit
The signature tells us that the function takes two arguments."

Maybe this is obvious if you are an F# master. But to a neophyte this may not be so obvious. It would be clearer with some additional information, i.e.:

> let printMessage (x:int, y:int) (s:string) = ();;
val printMessage : int * int -> string -> unit

Initially I wasn't sure if I could possibly be looking at

> let printMessage (fsmilieint * int -> string)) = ();;
val printMessage : (int * int -> string) -> unit

which results in a decidedly different but only slightly different looking signature.

It takes some practice to spot the small things that make a big difference.

One of the more frustrating aspects of F#'s type inference is that while it by and large is a blessing, it turns into a curse when one lacks the practice in specifying explicit type annotations on the rare occasions where one has to apply - usually fairly complex - type constraints.
Tomas Petricek (160) [Avatar] Offline
Re: 5.2.3 Using tuples compositionally (Clarification)
Hi, thanks for the feedback!
It definitely takes some time to learn how to read F# type signatures (especially because currying which is an important aspect is explained at the end of chatper 5). I like the idea of adding "stub" declaration of the function to make it easier to understand this bit, so I just added that to the manuscript.

Thanks again for the suggestion,
Tomas