regina.leo (235) [Avatar] Offline
We spoke to our publisher about peoples request to have translations in other languages. Thus far, we have had people interested or willing to help out with translations to French,Spanish and Japanese.

Manning's response:
"Any potential translators should first contact a foreign-language publisher for their language, since Manning will deal with the publishing company, not the individual translator. "

Manning has had other books translated and I think these start after the original book hits full eBook status.

Anyrate -- if anyone is interested in translations or helping out with translations, please post to this thread so that potential publishers/translators can get a sense of the popularity of the translation.

Please put as well in the subject line -- the language you are interested in.

thanks,
Regina and Leo
Hiroo (3) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Book Translations to other languages
Thanks, Regina and Leo,

Thanks for talking to Manning. One guy who are translating a GRASS book from Springer into Japanese said same thing. So, I need to find a publishing company in Japan. I will post what I find out on the way.

Hiroo
bo zhao (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I am so glad to see the book (PostGIS in actions) published by you. I am now
a student in Harvard and at the meantime, I am working in the Center for
Geographic Analysis of Harvard, so I have a plan, If I want to translate
your book into Chinese and then published it in China, is that possible?

best,

Bo Zhao
spatialguru (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi guys - O'Reilly Japan may be free and interested in publishing it. I have to talk them soon anyway and will ask. As far as I understand they have to sublicense English books from the US office regularly and maybe it is the same process that these others, like Manning, have to do also.

Glad to see the book progressing!
Tyler Mitchell
Tyler,

Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated you looking into this for us.

Leo and Regina
nicklas (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Book Translations to other languages - Swedish
Hallo

Swedish is a small language but I would like to contribute to a swedish translation.

/Nicklas
veseljak (1) [Avatar] Offline
What is the first step of translation and publishing book in some contry?

Best regrads

Dragan
based on our understanding. We have to get a publisher willing to publish for that language and then Manning contracts directly with that publisher.
ninomax (5) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Reginal.Leo
I have contacted a publisher in Vietnam and they agree to publish the translation in Vietnamese. Do you have any instructions to set up the contact with Manning Publisher?
//Thanh
Not off hand. But we will find out the details sometime this week or next.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
Well, i was still waiting for your information.
I understood that the translation can only be happened when you finish the book completely. But the publisher which i contact for publishing the translated version is asking me how to process the contract with manning publisher. Pls give me some hints.
Thanks
/Thanh
Nino,

Sorry about that. We had asked our editor about this and they mentioned they would have someone contact you. This was a while ago we were told this. It might have slipped thru the cracks since we were talking about other topics at the time.

We'll find out more.

Thanks,
Regina
Thanh,

Someone from Manning should be contacting you. Let us know if you here nothing back by late next week and we'll remind them again.

I think things are a bit hectic at the moment since we are finishing up the last chapter of the book and finishing off draft edits for Chapter 11 which should hit MEAP soon. Plus there are about 3 other books reaching completion, so they may be pretty busy at the moment.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
Hi regina.leo
There's still no one contact me from Manning. Has the book been finished?
Okay we'll find out what's going on.

Thanks for letting us know.

Leo and Regina
Thanh,

Have you heard anything yet from anyone in Manning. Right now we are in the middle of the last review process so I think they are busy will all of that.

Let us know if you still haven't gotten any notice. We did remind them.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
Hi Regina and Leo
Still no one contact me. Just drop me an email address, my publisher will contact them if they are too busy.
thanh AT openstreetmap DOT vn
Thanks so much.
Nope. Still a couple months to go. We have finished writing all the chapters and are in the last round of reviews. (last chapter should show up on MEAP probably tomorrow or later this week).

Still a lot of work left revising the chapters. For example some things are obsolete since we started writing so going thru to correct those. smilie

We are also polishing up the images and will need to put more figures in since people complained not enough pictures. The book is soon going to start the Manning editing process where they put in what they call "cue balls" for our numbered code comments. Then indexing, type setting etc.

I'm guessing that is why they have not been in a rush to contact. We'll keep reminding them.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
Not sure who exactly is the contact for translations. Finding out from our editor and will send you something hopefully shortly in the next day or so.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
Thanks Regina & Leo
i got contact with Manning.
Thanh
Thanh,
Great to hear. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
ghlim (2) [Avatar] Offline
Dear Sir:

I am very interest in using PostGIS together with PostgreSQL database for archiving and processing weather data. I try to find any benefits or unexpected outcomes by employing database technology in data processing
for statistical analysis of mass weather observations.

Cautiously, I am asking you that any chance is available to me in translating your book titled "PostGIS in Action" to Korean. I will be happy to have your answer. Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours,

Gyu-Ho Lim, Professor
Seoul, Korea
Gyu-Ho,

Thanks for your interest in translation. We'll add Korean to our list.

Leo and Regina
ghlim (2) [Avatar] Offline
Regina and Leo:

Thank you for your fast response and consideration.

From Seoul.
Thanh,

Now that the book is published, just checking to see if you have more information about the Vietnamese translation. Have you got any further contact from Manning?

Thanks,
Regina
ijasanchez (1) [Avatar] Offline
Greeting Regina an Leo,

I can help you with the Spanish translation of PostGIS in Action. I work with PostGIS and Postgres in Location Based Services and Map Processing using Open Street Maps. I worked at several commercial projects in Colombia and United States.

I have a pdf file in Spanish on PostGIS and Raster, can I share this file in the posts?

Reggards,

Alejandro Sánchez
ijasanchez@gmail.com
juanmendez (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi.
I bought your book at FOSS4G
It would be nice to contribute to a spanish translation of your book.
Juan,

Thanks for your interest. We'll need to line up a spanish publisher first before work on translation can be started on that. Do you have any publishers you can think of that would be interested in supporting a translation.

I forget how the split works with Manning vs. Foreign Language Publisher
but I can reinquire.
Alejandro,

Great to hear such interest in our book. I think if we have enough people interested and can line up a Spanish publisher, we can make it happen.

Not sure what the PDF file you have is. If its public you can attach it here or PostGIS user wiki:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/

If it's a translation of chapter 13, can send it to our email lr@pcorp.us

Thanks,
Regina