The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

dostergaard (11) [Avatar] Offline
I already have Mule Standalone 2.2.1 installed and the included examples are working just fine. Unfortunately, when I try the simplest example from the book on page 35 I get several errors.

When I update the xml to reference the 2.2 schema, many elements produce errors. For example <outbound-pass-through-router> needs to be changed to <pass-through-router>, among others.

Is the book incompatible with Mule 2.2.1 or is there something in the tooling that comes with the book's source that is needed to get it to work?

TIA
David Dossot (233) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Compatibility with Mule standalone 2.2.1?
Hi Dean,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, the book is fully compatible with Mule 2.2.x. I reckon you still have an old version of the MEAP edition, as I have searched the latest one and did not find any more trace of the good old "outbound-pass-through-router".

Best,
David
Then the free eBook I just downloaded has the same problem. Listing 1.1 on page 35 & 36 of the eBook is identical to Listing 1.1 in my hard copy. smilie

I guess I'll be going back to the bookstore.

Where does one obtain a newer edition, and how do you tell which is which (aside from looking for the errors in the listings)?

Thx
No need to going to the bookstore: the MEAP versions you have received so far were "work in progress". You will soon receive the actual Ebook, which will have the exact same content as the printed book, with all corrections in it.

D.
Oh, I think I see what's going on. From your comments, I guess there must be a second edition in the works which is available via MEAP (Manning Early Access Program).

My book is the first edition paperback (published way back in October of last year smilie ) and an electronic copy of that edition, which I got for registering my paperback.

Thanks for the help. I did get the example working with the help of the schema and Eclipse's code completion feature.
Sorry to sound like a complete n00b, but I did not even know that Mule in Action has ever been released as a "first edition paperback": where did you get it from?

The only releases I am aware so far of are the regular MEAP releases we did while writing th book.

D.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
I think there's some confusion here. You talk about our Open Source ESBs in Action book and David talks about his Mule in Action book. You are right that the code examples were implemented against an older version of Mule, which was the latest version when we released the Open Source ESBs in Action book. There are some changes compared to 2.2.1 and therefore the examples don't work. If you would like it, I'm happy to provide you with updated examples that work with Mule 2.2.1, just let me know.

Best regards,

Tijs
Apparently I may be the n00b. I've been talking about the book Open Source ESBs in Action.

The following is cut and pasted from editor page as I write this.

"Post reply in forum Open Source ESBs in Action to message Re: Compatibility with Mule standalone 2.2.1? . "

When you mentioned MEAP I took a look and saw that your book is on the list and checked out the first chapter. Which, BTW, helped me get a better picture of Mule's structure and approach to configuration.

I am doing a comparative evaluation of Mule and FUSE and picked up Open Source ESBs in Action from the local Borders bookstore and immediately ran into this compatibility problem.

I will probably pick up Mule in Action now that I know about it.

Sorry for the confusion.
Hi Tijs,

> I think there's some confusion here. You talk about
> our Open Source ESBs in Action book and David talks
> about his Mule in Action book.

Thanks. I think I just figured that out this morning.

> You are right that the
> code examples were implemented against an older
> version of Mule, which was the latest version when we
> released the Open Source ESBs in Action book. There
> are some changes compared to 2.2.1 and therefore the
> examples don't work. If you would like it, I'm happy
> to provide you with updated examples that work with
> Mule 2.2.1, just let me know.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tijs

I have been able to adapt some of the examples myself but it would make my evaluation go a lot faster if I didn't have to convert for the environment we're targeting. Even many of the examples on the Mule website are still using the older syntax. If you have new examples that would be a big help.

Thanks,
Dean
Wow, I am so sorry for the confusion I have created!

D.
No problem. It's all good. I guess I needed a good night's sleep to realize what happened.

At least I discovered another good resource for Mule documentation. smilie

Thanks,
Dean
The craziest thing is that we used to have an example with <outbound-pass-through-router> at a page around 35 in Mule in Action! It was so familiar to me that I didn't realize I was messing with Tijs' forum 8-/
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Dean,

I've changed the examples so that they work with Mule 2.2.1. You can download the examples here:

http://esbinaction.com/files/workspace-mule2.2.1.zip

Unpack this file to the workspace directory and install the Mule 2.2.1 ESB in the esb directory, then the scripts should work.
I've had some trouble with the example of chapter 9, but it works now. I didn't yet change the chapter 10 examples though, have to do that still.

Best regards,

Tijs
Hi Tijs,

This will be great, and a big help. Thanks very much!

Dean