mchenini (32) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I am working on section wicketinactionchapter03section_3_1, and I compiled the code using mvn clean install.
However

The issue is that class CheesrApplication extends WicketInActionApplication and
class WicketInActionApplication in directory wicketinaction imports the following packages which I do not need to use for now. I am not yet in chapters 5,9,14,...

import wicket.in.action.chapter05.section_5_3.CheeseDetailsPage;
import wicket.in.action.chapter09.resdiscounts.DiscountsPage;
import wicket.in.action.chapter14.section_14_3.CheesrRequestCycle;

I am really confused. I am wondering how "wicketers' who worked on the examples of the book, structured their directories?

Any feedback?

Thanks,
Mohamed
satar (32) [Avatar] Offline
Re: package wicket.in.action.chapter05.section_5_3 does not exist
Mohamed,

I am currently only a wanna-be wicketer smilie but I can tell you my experience so far with where you are at in the examples as I too am going through these. First, I created a build of all of the examples and made it run as advertised so that I can see them. You can toy with the whole set at once; however, I don't think they are designed for you to build up in the same package structures while following along in the book. Instead, I think you want to create your own project and add code to it layer by layer from either the book or copy the inner contents and past to your own classes.

There would still be a problem copying directly from the files because you will get ahead of the book as a file may have iterations of changes based on where you are at in the book. I am using my own classes for my own little project idea and extrapolating from the concepts in the book as I go along. This is harder to do but will give you a deeper understanding -- or at least that is the way things work best for me. Of course, with that said I am currently stuck on page 59 as I am not exactly sure what "cart.cheeses" refers to beings the names are overloaded between classes, divs, and wicket ids.

Anyway, that is what I would suggest.
-Steve
mchenini (32) [Avatar] Offline
Steve,

I think this is also what I am going to do. I will still use the same application as described in the book like Cheesr, but I will change the name to Cheesr31 for instance for chapter 3/ Section 1
We will see how it goes.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Refards,
Mohamed
satar (32) [Avatar] Offline
No problem Mohamed. I will say that doing so cost me much more time. However, the reason for it was because I really didn't understand what was what and the whole reason I am going through the exercises is to learn.

I actually have a real project that I am doing this for so I took a couple of the components of its design for my examples so things are really named different. I would suggest you not reuse names for different pieces as it will be much more clear what is what in the end. I know, what to call something tends to be the most time consuming part of software engineering.

Good Luck Mohamed!
-Steve