kovesp (2) [Avatar] Offline
The text is very difficult and tiring to read this way. Serifs were invented and used by generations of typographers for a reason! They serve to guide the readers' eyes along the lines. This is especially true for the long lines you have which are about 1.5 times longer that is ideal for reading. Changing to a serif face (Palatino Linotype or Garamond for example) for the body typeface would help a lot. So would shortening the lines (e.g., by having a wide outside margin): one rule of thumb is 50-55 characters (ex-es), another is 1.5 to 2 times the length of the lowercase alphabet of the typeface used. I realize Manning may not give you the latter option as that would increase the page count quite a bit.

These changes would increase the legibility by up to 30% according to some studies.
ramnivas (171) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Please, please change the horrible sans-serif typeface!
Is this AspectJ in Action specific or applies to Manning books in general? Please let me know and I will notify the publisher accordingly.

-Ramnivas
kovesp (2) [Avatar] Offline
Seems to be this book. I checked a few of my other Manning books (e.g., XSLT Quickly, LDAP Programming and Management, Spring in Action, JUnit in Action and the first edition of AspectJ in Action). They all use a nice, normal serifed typeface for the body text ... I couldn't tell you which, I'm not that into typography to recognize a typeface just by looking at it.
ramnivas (171) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks.

I will check with the publisher. The final version will have the font matching the other manning books.

-Ramnivas