The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

likebean (11) [Avatar] Offline
Hi all,I am newbie of ESB,when I read messageflow example in chapter 4 of this excellent book,I blow up...ESB is so complex,message need route,transform..
a simple function need complex configration.why not coding directly?It seem coding is easy than configration...Is all the complexity occurred by asynchronism(any step need jms)?
are there easy architecture instead of ESB ? if using SCA,can things become easy?
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: ESB is so complex,necessary?
Hi! Good question. I think open source ESBs really make configuration as easy as it can get. But of course things like routing, transformation etc is still pretty complex and for some simple examples, sometimes coding it yourself can be faster. However consider that you can configure a JMS listener or a JMS sender with just one line of configuration. So an ESB should make your life easier instead of making it harder.
SCA can certainly help to make things easier, but then you should be able to make your whole IT environment, SCA enabled. And that's often not possible so you would need still need something like an ESB. But I think SCA is very promissing, but not yet widely adopted by SOA vendors.

Best regards,

Tijs
likebean (11) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,thanks for your reply,I am newbie about SCA, I study the example of Tuscany,and I

feel SCA is only let program

more simple,but in essentially,It is same as invoking B service component in A

component by coding throught Axis or

xfire client. i.e, It's architecture is point-to-point,It is not recommend by ESB.
So,how about using ESB and SCA?I am confused.

Best RGDS
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

You are right that SCA is a point-to-point style of architecture. However these point-to-point connections are part of the SCA configuration and not of the Java class. So if you want to change a point-to-point connection, you only have to change the SCA configuration.

There have been several initiatives to use SCA within the ESB, for example Mule (http://www.mulesource.org/display/SCA/Home). I presented a talk on JavaOne last year about integrating SCA (Tuscany) in a JBI Container (ServiceMix), see http://esbinaction.com/presentation_overview.html. And WebSphere ESB is based on SCA and implements BPEL processes and ESB mediation flows as SCA components.

So the idea of using SCA as the foundation architecture in an ESB is not new. But there are not a lot of implementations yet.

Best regards,

Tijs