The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Svideo (21) [Avatar] Offline
I'm having an issue with binding I think. This code works in debug but fails in release.

Dim MyDictionaryQuery = From ABC As MetaDataFilePath In Form1.StockDataPathIEnum _
Group ABC By FirstLetter = (ABC.TickerSymbol(0)) _
Into MyDictionary = Group _
Order By FirstLetter _
Select FirstLetter, MyDictionary

MetaStockTreeView.Nodes.Clear()
MetaStockTreeView.BeginUpdate()

Dim MyIndex As Integer = 0

For Each Metaobj In MyDictionaryQuery
MetaStockTreeView.Nodes.Add(New TreeNode(Metaobj.FirstLetter))
For Each SymbolEntry As MetaDataFilePath In Metaobj.MyDictionary
'Console.WriteLine(vbTab & SymbolEntry.TickerSymbol & vbTab & SymbolEntry.StockName)
MetaStockTreeView.Nodes(MyIndex).Nodes.Add(New TreeNode(SymbolEntry.StockName & " (" & SymbolEntry.TickerSymbol & ")"))
Next
MyIndex = MyIndex + 1
Next

MetaStockTreeView.EndUpdate()

I suspect I'm missing on how the the result of the query needs to be cast or that I should be creating a class to project the results into? The results of course don't show up in intellisense and that would be nice.

The Firstletter ends up being a char and I can find the syntax to cast it back.

I know I stuck on stupid on this one, so any suggestions?

This should be a fairly useful pattern where a list of objects get alphabetically shorted into groups by the first letter and put in a treeview but I haven't seen any examples in vb.