elcapitankyle (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi. I'm trying to work through the sample programs in the book and ran into this error when trying to connect to the NORTHWND.mdf db:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was unhandled
Message="A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

I'm pretty sure that means it can't open the database however I'm not sure what exactly I've done wrong. Any suggestions to get me jump started here?

This is my code:
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Data.Linq;
using System.Data.Linq.Mapping;
using System.Text;

namespace HelloLinqToSql
{
class HelloLinqToSql
{
[Table(Name = "Contacts")]
class Contact
{
[Column(IsPrimaryKey=true)]
public int ContactID {get; set;}
[Column(Name="ContactName")]
public string Name {get; set;}
[Column]
public string City {get; set;}
}

static void Main(string[] args)
{
string cxn = @"C:workProjectsLinqInActionDataNORTHWND.mdf";
DataContext db = new DataContext(cxn);

var contacts =
from contact in db.GetTable<Contact>()
where contact.City == "Paris"
select contact;

foreach (var contact in contacts)
{
Console.WriteLine("Hello " + contact.Name);
}
}
}
}
jwooley (123) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Connection error when running HelloLinqToSql
Your connection string appears to be invalid. It needs to be more than just the file path. Compare your string with the ones in the config files in the samples. Assuming your northwind table is in the directory you mentioned, see if the following string helps:

"Data Source=.SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=C:workProjectsLinqInActionDataNORTHWND.mdf;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True"

Jim Wooley
fabrice.marguerie (224) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Connection error when running HelloLinqToSql
The connection string with just the file path is valid. This is what is used in the HelloLinqToSql sample. However, it seems that it doesn't work on all machines. It may depends on the version of SQL Server that is installed, on the name of the server instance, and on whether user instances are allowed.

A connection string like the one Jim gives is more likely to work on all machines, provided that the Data Source and AttachDbFilename values are customized.

Fabrice