The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

s_gutz (1) [Avatar] Offline
First let me congratulate you on your work so far. You are definitely forwarding the knowledge of OSGi and having written books myself I know what a commitment this is. However I have some general comments:

- I think the first couple of chapters really need some more diagrams. For those of us with visual brains this is crucial.

- Somewhere up in the early chapters it might be good to have a "Getting started" section where you show how to get Equinox and Felix installed and ready for use. I know users can find some of this detail on the web but a short section in the book would probably be helpful.

- Since OSGi is commonly used on the server-side of web applications you'll need to really make sure those finally chapters are crisp on the details. Particularly I'd like to see a chapter (possibly a new one at the end) detailing integration with servlets and also restlets (which are a relatively new technical direction for web development). You want to answer questions like 'how do I create an OSGi restlet?', etc. These are things that typically give web developers the most difficulty when adopting OSGi as a service layer.
richard.hall (87) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Comments of 1-4
Regarding your first comment, I realize now we made a mistake by not putting in placeholders for figures. We always planned to have more figures, we just didn't get to them in time for the first 1/3rd release. If you saw our notes, you'd see they were planned. smilie Since then, we have added several figures (especially to chapter 2). We probably need even more, but it is definitely better in this regard already.

About your second comment, we had contemplated handling some of that in an appendix, I believe. However, we are also making some changes at the beginning to make it more obvious how to get things running. We are planning on a framework-independent approach and have created a simple "bundle launcher" based on OSGi's proposed standard embedding API for R4.2. The main gist is you point the launcher to a directory of bundles and it will install and start them all. We also plan to use this launcher as an example in a later chapter where we discuss framework launching and embedding.

As far as your last comment, I think we are still formulating what we are going to do in that area, so I don't have a detailed response. We will certainly keep your comments in mind.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
stuart.mcculloch (29) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Comments of 1-4
Hi Steve,

As Richard said we're adding more diagrams to explain the concepts introduced in the early chapters which should help, and we're also simplifying the build + launch process. This is based on a proposed standard for embedding OSGi frameworks which means it should be portable between framework implementations (better than starting off with a discussion of the differences between Eclipse's config.ini and Felix's config.properties which would probably put people off!) However, we're planning on covering framework specific launching in an Appendix for those interested, say in a reference card format.

Chapter 17 is where we plan on discussing web related topics. The online ToC doesn't show section headings, but 17.1 provisionally covers OSGi and servlets including how to use OSGi services from servlets, etc. We'll also cover mapping WAR files to OSGi, more best practices based on our collected experience, and potential pitfalls that can crop up whenever you mix OSGi with Java EE.

HTH - let us know if there are other topics you're interested in hearing about.