The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

citu_adrian (17) [Avatar] Offline
Hi again,

Here are my comments/questions about the chapter 10:

1. Page 277:
Paragraph: "Here is a pointcut that will do the job (there are marginal improvements possible to minimize
typing, but you still need all 26 lines):
public pointcut setter()
: execution(public void setA*(*))
|| execution(public void setB*(*))
"

I don't understand the allusion to the 26 lines of code smilie

2. paragraph 10.4.5 (Choosing type-specific logger)
The phrase: "Recall from Chapter 5, section 5.3 that pertypewithin() associates the aspect state...."
In fact it is the chapter 6 paragraph 6.2.4 that you explain the use of pertypewithin aspect association not the chapter 5 and paragraph 5.3

3. paragraph 10.5.1 (Utilizing load-time weaving)
The phrase: "Please refer to Chapter 7, section 7.3 for more details."
The specification of concrete aspects is made on chapter 8 paragraph 8.3.2 (see also listing 8.2)

4. paragraph 10.5.1 (Utilizing load-time weaving)
For the listing 10.13 maybe you should add that the concrete aspect "ajia.tracing.SystemWideTraceAspect" file does not even exist since the poincut it is specified inside the aop.xml file. Maybe this is redundant with the explanation from the paragraph 8.3.2 but it will be easier for the reader.

5. paragraph 10.9 (Runtime control of monitoring aspects)

Another way to enable/disable the monitoring at runtime will be by using a system variable.

Cheers,

Adrian
ramnivas (171) [Avatar] Offline
Re: comments about the chapter 10
Adrian,

I have been waiting for your feedback smilie. Seriously, as usual, your feedback is precise and valuable. Thanks a lot.

I have incorporated your feedback and will make it into the next round of MEAP.

-Ramnivas