The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ns63us@yahoo.com (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I just started reading your book and It is a great book.
I have a one question. If we use MULE open source ESB, what is the best way to access services which we have develop in as/400 using ILE RPG.

Thanks
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: data access from IBM AS/400
Hi,

Thanks! It's always a challenge to access services on mainframes, but also to let mainframes access other services provided via the ESB. Common ways to access mainframe services is to use a product to expose ILE RPG components as web services, or use a messaging layer such as IBM MQ to send message, for example by using database triggers. Which connectivity options do the ILE RPG components provide within your organization? In other words, how do you communicate with these components at this moment?

Best regards,

Tijs
ns63us@yahoo.com (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for reply. Currently we have Websphere MQ. But I wanted to remove this layer.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, WebSphere MQ is a solution I see at a few of my client projects also. It's not easy to replace such an infrastructure with something else. Better said, what could be an alternative for WebSphere MQ? Besides other messaging solutions, web services would be a good alternative, but then you need a way to wrap your mainframe components as a web service and you need a product for that. An (open source) ESB doesn't provide an out-of-the-box alternative. There are ESBs with lots of adapters, but often those are pretty costly.
I'm curious about your thoughts on this.

Best regards,

Tijs