JoshF (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

After having heard and read great things about your book, I picked up a copy recently. I must say that I'm not disappointed: overall an excellent text from which I'm learning a great deal.

Section 2.2 on type characteristics clarified my understanding on type classification but I would like to have seen a section on early and late binding somewhere in your book.

I been trying to understand when C# does early and when it does late binding. I asked a question about this at Stackoverflow recently (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/484214/c-early-and-late-binding).

Perhaps it's something you could consider including in the next edition?

Best regards and thanks for sharing your expertise.

Josh

Message was edited by:
JoshF
jon.skeet (451) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Early and late binding
I saw the question, but unfortunately didn't have time to answer it fully.

The next edition (assuming it happens) will cover C# 4.0 as well, so there'll have to be extensive discussion about early vs late binding at that point anyway. I suspect I'd rather give a full explanation once (in the part about C# 4.0) than "half cover" it twice. As you've seen in the answers to your question, it really comes down to the meaning of early/late binding - which are probably as widely debated as "strong typing" etc. If the runtime knows the exact signature to use, and just has to find the right override to call, does that count as early binding? It can't find the code without knowing the execution-time type, which makes it sound like late binding... but it's still done *most* of the lookup work at compilation time...

I suspect this will take a few pages at least to explain fully - and that's before I get to C# 4.0's dynamic bindings smilie

Glad you're enjoying the book, and hope to see you again on SO...

Jon