MickeyP (20) [Avatar] Offline
On page 335 and 336, it reads as if we need to follow along and add the typed dataset to the project. (similar to having to add the dbml in the linq to sql example), e.g the fourth line on p 336 reads "Once you've created the dataset..."

Having gone thru the steps and created it, have just found that in fact theres one already there in the project.

May just be the way I read it, but might be worth pointing out this as a gotcha.
jon.skeet (448) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Errata: p 336 Dataset already exists
Well everything's there in the project if you use the downloaded source - I wouldn't force readers to do all these fiddly steps. The point is to make it clear how you would do it for your own project. As you say, it's just like the LINQ to SQL example - the DBML is already in the project, but if you wanted to start from scratch, you could do so by following the steps.

Perhaps a quick note in the introductory section of chapter 12 in general, for the second edition?
Thats odd, as the source I downloaded did not contain the DBML, and I had to add it in following the steps. Theres also an errata item for chapter 12, which says the associations had been renamed and people following along the code would have to rename it in their code too.

Perhaps the DBML has got missed out?

That said its great to make it clear how you would do it for your own project.

If theres bespoke To Do's to follow along, then yes an introductory section would be great, or alternatively in an appendix and refer to it as not everyone would want to follow along.
Could you download the full source zip file again and check? I'm pretty sure it's in there in Chapter12Model but verification is welcome smilie

I think the "following along" is sufficiently useful to make it worth keeping in the chapter, but I'll make a note to explain it a little bit more in the introduction.
I still had a copy of the downloaded zip file, and have just had a look.

You're absolutely right, the DBML file is already there in the Model project.

My bad - I read the text on p316 under the heading of Creating the Entity Classes as something we needed to do. Also thinking the DBML file is there for Linq to SQL, I only looked for it in the SQL Examples Project, and not finding it there proceeded to create one.

On reflection, I agree "following along" is useful and well worth keeping in the chapter. In fact going thru and making the DBML files wasn't too bad either and a nice change to more hands on.

If its not too complex perhaps you could have two versions of the downloads - one with the DBML and data set etc all baked in, and the other without them - giving the reader opportunity to add them in by following along. If they mess it up then can always revert to the other version. Think that would be quite instructional if someone hasn't created them before and will be a bit more of a hands on tutorial / learning. Just my two pence worth. smilie
> I still had a copy of the downloaded zip file, and
> have just had a look.
>
> You're absolutely right, the DBML file is already
> there in the Model project.
>
> My bad - I read the text on p316 under the heading of
> Creating the Entity Classes as something we needed to
> do. Also thinking the DBML file is there for Linq to
> SQL, I only looked for it in the SQL Examples
> Project, and not finding it there proceeded to create
> one.

Phew - I'm glad it wasn't something more serious then smilie It certainly sounds like something to note though.

> On reflection, I agree "following along" is useful
> and well worth keeping in the chapter. In fact going
> thru and making the DBML files wasn't too bad either
> and a nice change to more hands on.
>
> If its not too complex perhaps you could have two
> versions of the downloads - one with the DBML and
> data set etc all baked in, and the other without them
> - giving the reader opportunity to add them in by
> following along. If they mess it up then can always
> revert to the other version. Think that would be
> quite instructional if someone hasn't created them
> before and will be a bit more of a hands on tutorial
> / learning. Just my two pence worth. smilie

I think a simpler alternative might be to just list the files to delete if you want to go through the steps - that way if the reader wants to do the SQL version but not the DataSet version, they can still easily get a solution which compiles, etc.

Jon