timmi4sa (1) [Avatar] Offline
Jon,
Thank you for such a great book!

Just noticed a minor typo in the last sentence of section 4.4 (Novel Uses of Nullable Types) the section reference "3.2.6" seems to be incorrect. The "TryXXX" pattern is described in section 3.3.3 (on page 81).

(a very detailed and frequently updated errata page of yours makes this book even greater, almost as if it were a "firmware" update)!
jon.skeet (451) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Minor Erratum in section reference p. 131
Tim,

I'm really glad you're enjoying the book - and well done for spotting the mistake! (It's great to have such keen-eyed readers.)

I've added an erratum: http://csharpindepth.com/ViewNote.aspx?NoteID=147

Personally while I feel the errata page (which is now sadly larger than I'd like - but at least few of them are genuine technical mistakes which could mislead readers) is all very well, the notes are much more interesting. This is primarily because they're mostly comments from people who are smarter than me. Speaking of which, I must get round to adding Ben Albahari's comments at some point...
djohnson (22) [Avatar] Offline
I really want to agree with Tim about the importance of an up-to-date errata sheet, especially combined with your quick responses to questions on this forum. Maybe it's like this, when I'm reading a book, often I don't quite understand what's going on. I need to persist until I do, and basically it works a lot better if I can trust the author. If there's something which isn't working, I need to know, is it my mistake, or the author's (usually the former, of course). Being able to resolve the issues which are typos, etc., quickly, really cuts down on the friction of this process.

I don't know if I've explained this well, maybe someone else can do it better, but one thing I'm trying to say is, I really appreciate the effort you've put into the book website, in particular the errata sheet.
I quite agree - I didn't really express myself properly in my previous comment. Up-to-date errata are very important - but in the same way that airbags in a car are important. You really need them to be there, but it's hard to get excited about them.

I regard the notes section of the web site as being analogous to finding out that your car has a built-in MP3 player which can download songs from your home server while it's parked outside the house - something cool but not really vital.
djohnson (22) [Avatar] Offline
You know, you're probably right. I think what's more important is that the errata in your book are not serious mistakes. That is probably what causes the actual excitement. When I notice a mistake, I can check quickly that it's not serious, and get back to reading the book, still keeping my confidence in you as the author.
Yeah - I was hugely lucky to have Eric Lippert as tech reviewer. There weren't *very* many technical mistakes before his review, but he certainly got rid of some that would have been embarrassing (as well as just generally helping the tone and polish of the whole thing).