The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Russell Clark (2) [Avatar] Offline
Great book by the way. But I have a problem
I copied snippet 12.1 onto my machine to test the issue I am having
The first time I open the designer for the LockableTextBox the control displays OK. I close the designer & reopen the designer for the same control. The XAML for the TextBox element displays a squiggly line & the error AG_E_UNKNOWN_ERROR [Line: 14 Position: 55]. I get the same problem for all my Silverlight controls and pages using the TextBox, Combobox and so on. I am completely stuck on this. Help would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Dell PrecisionM90, Vista Ultimate AND XP 4g ram. VS2003 and 2005 also installed on both OSs. VS2008 Std Ed
chad.campbell (42) [Avatar] Offline
Re: snippet12.1
Hi Russell,

I'm glad you have enjoyed the book. I hope you will write a review on Amazon.com for us.

When you are viewing your XAML, which version of Visual Studio are you viewing it in? I would strongly recommend viewing XAML in VS 2008 once you have the Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio (http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/) installed.

Just out of curiosity, are you getting the AG_E_UNKNOWN_ERROR in the designer or when you try to run the application?
Russell Clark (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: snippet12.1
I am viewing the XAML in VS 2008 & the error comes up in the designer. The app will not compile - I get a badly formed XAML message. HOWEVER. due to an unrelated problem I have had to completely reinstall Vista & all apps. Guess what? silverlight works just fine. The only thing I have done differently is that this time I installed C++ and VB & C#. On all my other installations I did NOT install C++. Microsoft (via Connect) are looking at this. Makes no sense to me. Thanks for your response. Much appreciated