The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

chuckls (4) [Avatar] Offline
The third sentence in the fourth paragraph of section 2.2 reads:

"With respect to Java, cohesion is an a measure of how closely related the functionality provided by internal classes of a module are."

The underlined words are a typo.

I also felt the sentence was a little weak in communicating the concept of cohesion. Cohesion is a combination of measures for binding and coherence. Another way to communicate this concept is:

"Cohesion measures the strength of support and alignment between Java classes providing module functionality."
richard.hall (87) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Ch. 2 - grammar
I agree it is not a strong sentence. I tried to tighten it up like this:

"Cohesion measures how closely aligned a module's classes are to each other and to achieving the module's intended functionality. You want to strive for high cohesion in your modules. For example, a module should not address many different concerns (e.g., network communication, persistence, XML parsing, etc.), it should focus on a single concern."

Slight wording change:

"Cohesion measures how closely aligned a module's classes are with each other and with achieving the module's intended functionality."

chuckls (4) [Avatar] Offline
I like the change.
dnedrow (1) [Avatar] Offline
First sentence of the last paragraph of page 30...

If you are more than a Java novice, you are probably reasonably familiar with using JAR files and the Java class path.

I suggest...

If you are more than a Java novice, you are probably familiar with using JAR files and the Java class path.

or...

If you are more than a Java novice, we can reasonably assume you are familiar with using JAR files and the Java class path.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will modify it.
janvanmansum (4) [Avatar] Offline
page 34 "As we mentioned, OSGi determines the visibility of a bundle class based
on whom is asking for it."

I think this should be "on who is asking for it". The "parameter" of "on" is not "who" (which would warrant a change to "whom") but the entire sub-phrase "who is asking for it". In this sub-phrase "who" is subject, not an object.

Sorry if I got the grammar terminology wrong, but I hope I am getting my point across anyway. Of course, you should double-check with your professional editor.
Yep, I think you are correct. I made the change. Thanks.