Joss (1) [Avatar] Offline
I spent Christmas Eve and several hours today reading "Linq in Action". This is the third Manning publication I've purchased and it is great. I am up to speed on Linq and ready to go.

Curio: Did the editors help lay the framework for your book beforehand?

Best,

Joss
fabrice.marguerie (224) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Thank you!
Hi Joss,

I'm glad that you enjoyed our book.

I'm not sure about what you mean by the book's framework. Manning certainly did help us with techniques for writing the book and discussed the table of content with us. They also drove the book development by organizing several reviews, internal and external.

Other than that, we where pretty free to organize the content, the figures, and the source code the way we wanted to.

If this doesn't answer your question, feel free to let me know.

Fabrice
violentk (3) [Avatar] Offline
Sorry to reuse this thread becuz i juz want to deliver a short thank you message to the author and doesnt deserve a thread of its own.

I cant post a review on amazon because i never purchase any books from it - they dont ship books to my country for weird reasons.

There's no justice for the rating 4.6/5.0. its a full 5 stars product.

Only some of the topics i cant comprehend if i do not have prior knowledge, but ignore me - i am slow - , keep it this way so u can always focus on the details and fill me with wave after wave of informations, i will catch up.

Thank you - after reading, i know LINQ as much as u do now
Thank you for your comment. It's good to get feedback like this one.
Unfortunately, we haven't been getting more reviews on Amazon lately. I guess that people think that it's not useful anymore. But that's not true. I wish more persons could express their opinion on the book. Unfortunately, people like you who got the book through other ways can't contribute smilie
violentk (3) [Avatar] Offline
i beg to differ, it's still useful!

In current SOA enteprise application trend, tradtional ADO.NET is still in demand as the disconnected nature doesn't really go hand in hand with ORM. If ADO is still used, then LINQ to SQL definetely can offer shortcuts and improve productivity. ADO can only extract data to a DataSet and thats annoying since DataSet has no interoperatibility and we dont allow a dataset go flying around the Network, we will usually convert DataSet to any ienumberable or List in the Data Access Layer. Considering this, we can still use Linq to Sql's SQL Bypass (chapter 7) to Execute a Custom SQL query like we did in ADO but instead of storing the extracted data in DataSet, we can simply do a - ienumberable<Author> = context.ExecuteSql "select * from authors " . Less codes. This is already an increased productivity in DAL in my opinon.

Either this wasnt mentioned in LIA or i wasnt paying attention, may i know if u are Using a SQL bypass, can LINQ to SQL works with other Database such as DB2 or Oracle since we are using our customized query statement??

Secondly, LINQ to object/XML is still the best practise as u summed it up, we should narrow down the need of different knowledge. Even if myself cant omit the knowledge of TSQL, i am still glad i no longer need to xpath as much

Thanks. Wondering if u are working on other book atm.
Even though you can use pass-through SQL, LINQ to SQL cannot work with something else than SQL Server because it uses SqlConnection, which is dedicated to SQL Server.
A provider model exists in LINQ to SQL, because it was originally planned to have it support more than just SQL Server, but that provider model is not fully baked.

Personally, I'm not working on another book at the moment. I can't speak for the other co-authors.

Fabrice