qbfine (1) [Avatar] Offline
I have Visual Basic 2008 Express and Visual C# 2008 Express editions of Visual Studio installed. I have downloaded the source code (VB and C#) for the Link In Action book but I cannot open the projects.

When I attempt to open one of the VB projects for example, I get the following error message:

One or more of the projects in the solution could not be loaded for the following reasons:
The project file or web has been moved, renamed or is not on you computer.
These projects will be labeled as unavailable in Solution Explorer. Expand the project node to show the reason the project could not be loaded.

The Solution Explorer shows a number of projects (HelloLinq, etc.). All of them indicate "The project file or web cannot be found".

What am I doing wrong?
fabrice.marguerie (224) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Need help loading Link In Action source code
Hello Quay,

I don't have any Visual Studio Express edition on my machine, so I can't give it a try.
If you find what the problem is, I'd be interested to know more about it. It can be interesting for a lot of people to be able to open the solutions with the Express editions.

After opening a solution, could you try to look at the file path indicated by the property inspector for each project file? This should help us to determine why the project files cannot be found.

Did you try to remove the projects from the solution and add them again? Does that work? If not, what's the result?

Fabrice
jwooley (123) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Need help loading Link In Action source code
It's been a while since I worked with the Express SKU as well. I believe at one point it only allowed a single project at a time and not a solution with multiple projects. The samples included in the download have separate projects for the various samples. Try opening the separate vbproj files individually and see if they work by themselves.

For chapters 6-8, you will need to compile the class library project first and then re-point the reference in the client application to the compiled DLL.

Jim