The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Don Stadler (74) [Avatar] Offline
On pages 295-296 of the book show how to configure the Apache Directory server. I followed the instructions on page 295 in the Apache directory studio, but what I see does not resemble the configuration on page 296. Specifically, under Root DSE the "dc=example, dc=com (2)" section is completely missing.

Given that continuing configuration on page 296 seems to depend upon the existence of this entity and exist it does not, things come to a grinding halt at this point.

I attempted to add a new entry under the Root DSE, and goat as far as selecting a dCObject, which allowed me to select "dc=example, dc=com". But at this point it clearly wants me to substitute a value for something, but is not at all clear what should be substituted, nor what the value should be. So it's a dead standstill.

Later: You breezily say that "we can also configure the default domain with this URI" on page 296, referring to the value in the configuration file. Unfortunately you omit HOW this we are to configure LDAP to achieve this.

I see this kind of thing in some books, where the author forgets the steps he took (usually some months in the past) to configure something, and blithely assumes that everything will be configured the same way on the reader's machine. Of course that is not the case, so the student pulls his hair out and yowls.

Message was edited by:
Don Stadler
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 8 LDAP configuration
Well, this is partially true. The example configuration is part of the Apache Directory Server installation, but not imported by default. So the first step you need to do is import the ldif file from the conf/example.ldif file in the installation directory of Apache Directory Server.
You can do this import by using the Apache Directory Studio and right-click on the Root DSE after you connected to the Apache Directory Server. Then you can choose import - LDIF import. This imports the example configuration and you can proceed with the steps described in the book.

Best regards,

Tijs
Don Stadler (74) [Avatar] Offline
Ahhhhh, the light comes on! smilie

BTW, Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Hope you are doing well.

Almost done with Chapter 10 except for the Servicemix stuff, and then onto chapter 11, which I've already read. But I don't count things as learned until I make the examples work, study the traces, and then go back to the source code and the text again until it sinks in.

The book has been very valuable in my effort to shore up my ESB/SOA background. A lot of developers see SOA as an acronym for SOAP and Web Services, because that is what they see. But your book shows a much more complete picture of the integration space, a view in which everything is not wrapped in a SOAP wrapper.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Right smilie

Thanks, Merry Christmas and a happy new year for you too. I have 2 weeks of vacation starting now so things are well!
Hope you'll find the last examples of the book interesting, and I also hope they'll work the first time you run them smilie
I have the same experience in my work, where most people think of web services as the ultimate solution for enterprise integration. And of course, open standards like web services are a good thing in a multi technology environment, but not every application will be able to communicate with web services and you'll also want some reliability where JMS or messaging comes in the picture (as WS-Reliable Messaging is not that well supported yet, to make an understatement).

Best regards,

Tijs