The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

bobrocks (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

Just had a quick read through chapter one, all good stuff so far. Like the writing style, it's very easy to read. So em....carry on!

Anyway here is some things I noted down as I read chapter 1.

- pg4, line 1, typo:
It is used to develop applications from small mobile devices to massive enterprise endeavors.

I think that should be for not from.

-pg 4, Execution section, suggestion:
Execution – you are unable to easily manage and evolve the constituent pieces of a
running system while trying to minimize impact on the system as a whole.

I really don't have a suggestion, I just think that this sentence is all kinds of wrong, it's very hard to follow even though I know exactly what you mean.

-pg 6, line 11, typo:
declare / declared

-pg 8, line 3, typo:
mostly / most

-pg 8, paragraph 4, typo:
This is pretty much describes the purpose of OSGi.

remove the is

-pg 8, paragraph 8, suggestion:
As you can see, these scenarios cover a lot of use cases and it is by no means exhaustive.

using these scenarios and talking about it is, doesn't seem right.

-pg 15, line 2, type:
you actually have tell the framework about it.

you actually have to tell..

cheers
Bob

PS - posting on here is rather difficult, it seems to time out a lot.
richard.hall (87) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 1 - errata
Thanks for the detailed comments and kind words. We should be able to address all of them in the next revision.

Regarding this forum, I think there was something wrong the server today, since I was having trouble accessing it. Normally, it is not that bad.
Just a quick follow up to let you know I addressed all of your issues. Look for them in the next MEAP update. Thanks a lot!
serverdude (24) [Avatar] Offline
p.14 section 1.2.5 numbered list starts from 3.

p.21 section 1.4.1 2nd line - twice targeting:
"Java EE and OSGi started targeting targeting ..." ->
"Java EE and OSGi started targeting ..."
Fixed. Thanks.
maisonobe (1) [Avatar] Offline
My comments are based on a version tagged as "Last saved: 6.22.2010"

In the first example listing 1.1, I guess the main should read:

Greeting greet = new GreetingImpl(“World”);

instead of:

Greeting greet = new GreetingImpl(“Hello World”);

In section 1.2.1 The OSGi Framework, second paragraph, replace "You many not even know it," with "You may not even know it,".
In the same section, first paragraph, as a French guy I find the reference to a well-known fast-food company associated with the sentence "reassuring feeling" somewhat strange and inappropriate smilie