The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Don Stadler (74) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks to Tjis for providing this.

One usage note - I found I needed both the old (osesbinaction) and new (osesbinaction2) installations to run the book examples, because osesbinaction2 contains only the environment stuff, not the examples as osesbinaction does.

To get this working install them both and change your environment variables (MULE_HOME, SERVICEMIX_HOME, and path) to point at the proper directories in osesbinaction2. When running the code examples do it in osesbinaction.

Both of the Chapter one examples now work a charm. I'm finding these packages to be like Spring on steroids - lots of configuration and injecting. Pretty cool.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: New Environment script
What do you mean with osesbinaction2 only contains the environment stuff? In the workspace directory all the examples are also there. So you should be able to do everything from the osesbinaction2 directory.

Best regards,

Tijs
Tjis,

Here is the result of a dir command in the mule directory, nothing there:

C:osesbinaction2workspaceworkspace-mule>cd mule

C:osesbinaction2workspaceworkspace-mulemule>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is E213-9CC2

Directory of C:osesbinaction2workspaceworkspace-mulemule

27/11/2008 01:55 <DIR> .
27/11/2008 01:55 <DIR> ..
27/11/2008 01:55 24,089 .classpath
27/11/2008 01:55 366 .project
2 File(s) 24,455 bytes
2 Dir(s) 97,744,236,544 bytes free

That is why I needed the other one. No big deal, just a workaround.
I find that very strange, because in both the full as well as the small book environment download on http://esbinaction.com/book_sourcecode.html the source code is available in the zip file. Which download did you use?
What you also can do is just copy the workspace contents from your osesbinaction directory to the osesbinaction2 directory.
But I'm very curious about how you did setup the new osesbinaction2 directory.

Best regards,

Tijs
Tjis, I downloaded from http://esbinaction.com/book_sourcecode.html the Download the full environment at once. This unzipped into book_environment_full2. An ant command run from that directory installed into c:osesbinaction2, sans examples.

Unfortunately I had deleted the contents of initial c:osesbinaction and so didn't have source code in the proper place any more. So I reinstalled that directory.

The difference between the two installs was that the c:osesbinaction install took the book sources from SVN and the c:osesbinaction2 did not. Perhaps I missed an extra step there?

In the end I copied the entire workspace from c:osesbinaction to c:osesbinaction2, reset all the environment variables to point at c:osesbinaction2, and just worked from there.

I am mostly through Chapter 4 at the moment and it's all working fine. I really love these tools and your book is well-written. You might wish to have a look at the Chapter 3 errors comments. I ran into some twists, particularly on the Chap 3 Mule example but was able to work them out. So I put down full notes on how to do it for the benefit of posterity.

Thanks,

Don

Message was edited by:
Don Stadler
Don,

Thanks, now I know what's the problem.
I intended the full environment zip to be unpacked in a directory like c:osesbinaction, and then you change the prepare.properties to this c:/osesbinaction directory. Then you execute the Ant build file also from the same directory.

You are right, the sources are not downloaded from SVN anymore, they are just present in the environment zip. I will change the description on esbinaction.com to note people to unpack the zip file to the directory where you want to install the environment directly.

I'll look at the comments you made about chapter 3. Thanks for your time to write this down!

Best regards,

Tijs
Needed to rebuild environment
After many problems with osesbinaction2 I decided to bin the whole thing and start over. You have to download the environment, unzip it into osesbinaction, then change the prepareResourcesprepare.properties to point to osesbinaction rather than osesbinaction2. Then just run ant from the base directory and wait a while.

Chapter 5 examples seem to be working now.

Message was edited by:
Don Stadler