The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mclovis (5) [Avatar] Offline
Chris,
Great book! It helps concrete many of the ideas of DDD. There is one thing, that gets batted around, and seems contradictory in the book, and that is the use of both Service objects and Facades. At one point Services (and Facades for that matter) seem to be the place for business logic that is not of a Data Access sort (ie cross cutting data access , collection of DAO logic, ergo Repository). This is stated in one point in the book. Later it is stated that Services would NOT contain business logic. This confuses the point and lends itself the the discussion of how much business logic should the domain objects maintain. I know you do not enjoy mere DTOs, but all code, even pure OO has procedural type code embedded within it.. Second question is what in your mind is the need for BOTH a facade and a Service?
Thanks for clearing up these points. I am sure they exist only within my mind.
Mike
simbo1905 (30) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Services and Facades
Almost a year after your post a big thread happened which goes through the point that you brought up:

http://www.manning-sandbox.com/thread.jspa?threadID=15496&tstart=0