The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

This topic is READ ONLY
idarwin (5) [Avatar] Offline
> By the way, in learning to program, there is a tradition that the first thing you make the
> computer do is display “Hello World!” That’s where the title of this book comes from.
> You are following that tradition. Welcome to the world of programming!

I don't know if you're planning any footnotes or if they're too "grown up" for your audience,
but you might want somehow to indicate - maybe a sidebar - where this "tradition" comes from.
AFAIK the first printed reference to it was in various Brian Kernighan books, e.g., in the 1978 book
The C Programming Language (Kernighan & Ritchie), Section 1.1, "Getting Started":
----------
"The only way to learn a new programming language is by writing programs in it.
The first program to write is the same for all languages:

"Print the words
hello, world

"This is the basic hurdle; to leap over it you have to be able to create the program text
somewhere, compile it successfully, load it, run it, and find out where your output went.
With these mechanical details mastered, everything else is comparatively easy."
---------
Just a suggestion, in terms of "credit where credit's due".
warren.sande (211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: History of "Hello World"
Yes, I believe K&R is the original source of the "hello world" program. Wikipedia says:
"The example program from that book prints "hello, world" (without capital letters or exclamation mark), and was inherited from a 1974 Bell Laboratories internal memorandum by Brian Kernighan, Programming in C: A Tutorial, which contains the first known version."

Unfortunately, it's getting too close to the release of the book at this point to make changes to the content. Maybe if we do a second edition! And I will try to get something like that on the web site (or at least a link to the Wikipedia page).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Warren Sande