The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

JGF1 (322) [Avatar] Offline
Hi folks.
Reading your book and I'm wondering what happened to some of code for ch4.
Ie the ObjectViewer stuff at the end Listings 4-11 to 4-16.
I saw the overview video and it looked like it had a jazzed up version of this..
Is this something that gets improved upon in a later chapter or something to that effect.
Clarification would be greatly appreciated
Cheers.

Right... At end of chapter 4 it mentions it'll be continued in Ch5. Had a quick peek without reading ahead and tried to run.
Code is buggy for IE7 I'm afraid. I take it I'm supposed to use popups.html? Seems to transfer data from one planet to the next. Eg Suddenly Venus has earths description in it. Seems ok in Firefox...

I'm approaching the end of chapter 6 now..
Still finding a big discrepancy between source download and book. Code pertaining to planet app mentions it's updateable. I don't see any indication of this.
More buggy code with IE7 wrt Fig 6.7 (submit doesn't work). Ok again in Firefox.
What's the score here?

Ditto Chapter 7. Where's the Battleship example?
I'm beginning to feel this books source download is a little light on good demos. The video demo made it look promising..

It gets worse!
1) P325 part 4 intro.Medley of implementations. No server-side Java code for Chapter 9
2) Umpteen Broken reference links at ends of chapter
3) Facetious comments P351.
4) No readme in download for setup procedure fo vb code in ch 9 or any chapter for that matter. I'm assuming asp & vb code needs to get deployed in IIS somehow?
5) Authors who never respond to forum posts!
Can't say I'm a big fan of this book

Message was edited by:
JGF1