The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

jeffc666 (5) [Avatar] Offline
The projected release date is now out to May 2009, almost 2 years since its initial MEAP release.

Browsing through all of the other MEAP titles from 2007; they are either released, will be released very soon, or the author is answering questions on the Author Forum about the status of the book (even these seem to have most if not all the chapters complete). SOA Patterns however stands alone as not fitting into any of these categories.

I understand that plans do not always succeed. All I am looking for here is a little insight into what exactly the $30 that I spent is going towards. I have not gotten ANY update in more than a full year (last update was on 8/24/2007), not even half of the chapters are complete, there is no communication from the author, and all that Manning has ever sent me is a 15% off coupon as apology for the delay. (As if I am going to be spending any more money with Manning before this mess is resolved!).

At this point I have little faith that the book will ever be updated or released. The schedule for release has so far slipped 15 months since I purchased the book 17 months ago (6/13/07).

At the very least I hope that this post will prevent anyone else from getting suckered into buying this!
Rseder (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: The Silence is Deafening
Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry for the repeated delays with this book. I'm afraid I have little to do with the publishing end of the spectrum here, but I can assure you this is more the exception than the rule. Nearly all of our MEAPs are released on schedule (with a few months variance here and there).

I'll contact the editors tomorrow and see I can't get a more definite response as to what's happening with the book.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact me at support@manning.com

Rob
colinjack (4) [Avatar] Offline
Just wondered if there is any more progress since then, I'm enjoying reading the book but it does seem like there is very little activity on it (and on other MEAP books I've bought to be honest).
arnonrgo (62) [Avatar] Offline
Hello Jeff

I don't know about manning's policy on refunds. I guess you do have a case for demanding one.
In any event, as you said plans do not always succeed but I at least I hope you did get value from the chapters that did get published and I can tell you that I (and a co-author) are working on the book again (see also my reply to "progress?")

Regards,

Arnon
jeffc666 (5) [Avatar] Offline
Arnon,

Thanks for the reply!

Hopefully you will be able to continue forward and complete the book. I hear writing books is difficult. smilie

Jeff
phavelar (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi
I received a pdf long ago. I'm not sure I have the most recent version.

How can I get the most recent version?

Thanks so much,

Paulo
Hi Paulo
I am sorry to say that up to now there are only 5 full chapters plus a few patterns posted on my blog (www.rgoarchitects.com). While I don't have time to work on this as much as I like (or should for that matter) I'd like to hope that the things that did got published bring value to you (and others).
Apologies

Arnon
antipatternSkilled (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Arno,I did purchased the book last year I have asked myself recently if I had missed the update, but at Manning have told me that the book actually only has 5 chapters. I did bought some other books also so I'm just starting the book,I'm in chapter 4 but I would liked to review some concepts in chapter 10 Antippaterns, but it is missing it, for me there's no problem, I think it would be good to read the book while it is being written (sorry for whom would wished to have all the chapters now, thing that seems to be fair). I think maybe you can't make progress with the book soon, the last post was from Nov 2009. Well I have some questions regarding what I have read until now:
1) When designing services them have to be done from a SOA perspective, What will happen if the no functional requiriments are fussy, ambigous or not well defined?
2) How did you do the taxonomy of the patterns you are explaining so far, did you used some patterns well understood by some other sources or did you get it from experience?

I hope you'll be able to get finished this book
Regards
Regarding 1
Designing services is not different from designing other pieces of software, as requirements change so does the services. The main drive or idea behind SOA is the flexibility of interactions and connectivity so that it would be relatively easy to replace an aging service for a new one as long as the contracts are kept (it's even easier if you combine EDA and SOA (Inversion of Communications pattern))
Still one issue, which I didn't plan on covering (and maybe I should) has to do with versioning contract. When you are building services the replacement is not always a totally new service but rather changes in the contract you can then have situation where a single service supports several versions of the contract or instances with different versions installed in parallel etc. There are also strategies in versioning the contracts themselves (most are more technology dependent, rather than architectural)

Regarding 2.
All the patterns are based on my experience. Nevertheless some are obviously well described by others (e.g. request/reply) also as expected, once I started writing and doing some more research I found that several have of them have been previously described by others

>I hope you'll be able to get finished this book
So do I. I tried to bring co-authors onboard (e.g. Udi Dahan, Eric Bruno) but so far none found the time to contribute as well... All I can promise is that I'll do my best to make progress

Arnon
softwaresimian (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi

Is there a revised target publication date for this book? It was so long ago that I ordered it that I had forgotten about it until recently stumbling across a very out of date PDF!

Hopefully it is not becoming the literary equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever....

Any update on status appreciated.
Hi
I am sorry but I don't have any thing new to saw besides what I already said.
The time I have to devote to this project is very limited. I've tried several times to find a suitable co-author (and though both Udi Dahan and Eric Bruno agreed and joined, they both apparently busy as well).
I have been making (very very slow) progress in the past few months but there isn't a publication date as of yet.
I hope you do find value in the 5 chapters already published

Arnon