The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

cody.skidmore (22) [Avatar] Offline
I bought the book yesterday, busting out with excitement to get started. But I can't get the first excersize on page 17 working. I hope it is a mismatch in versions of Silverlight 2.0, Visual Studio 2008, and .NET 3.5 SP1.

Did anyone else experience this problem?

When the app loads in IE, it doesn't play video. There's just an empty page, but Silverlight does seem to load.
geraldbauer (17) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Off to a bad start
Look at thread Version compatibility for Silverlight In Action code.
chad.campbell (42) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Cody,

There may be versioning issues. However, all of the code shown in the snippets and the walkthroughs have working code examples behind them. I am working very hard to have those code examples, complete with Visual Studio solutions, ready for download when we release the next version of Silverlight 2 in Action.

Thank you,
Chad
I looked at this a second time today but started with a fresh workstation. After installed SP1 for Visual Studio and fresh copies of Silverlight 2, it worked fine.

Clearly, there's a version issue with my original workstation.
BAMM!!

Uninstalling silverlight *.* and reinstalling an update found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=50A9EC01-267B-4521-B7D7-C0DBA8866434&displaylang=en

worked perfectly.
sitary (1) [Avatar] Offline
I also can't run the first walk-through. JavaScript throws an error code: 4001, category MediaError, Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR. I think this has to do with playing media from another domain because if I change the source of the video1.wmv to my app's folder it works fine.
chad.campbell (42) [Avatar] Offline
You are correct that this error has to deal with playing the video over the network. However, I just tested the code and it works. The problem may have been caused by my web hosting service. I have learned that It can be a bit flaky at times. I apologize for any frustration this may have caused.