dhinojosa (20) [Avatar] Offline
Page 28:

An introduction on how to get you data indexed

to

An introduction on how to get you(+r) data indexed

Page 28/29

Typically, ORMs like Hibernate Core apply optimization techniques an SQL handcoded solution would not: transactional write behind, batch processing, first and second level cache. Hibernate Core is re-
leased under an open source license and can be found at (http://hibernate.org).

to

Typically, ORMs like Hibernate Core apply optimization techniques (+that) a(-n) SQL handcoded solution would not: transactional write behind, batch processing, first and second level cache. Hibernate Core is re-
leased under an open source license and can be found at (http://hibernate.org).

Page 29:
I don't know if you want to cover this...
Question: Isn't there a license mismatch considering between the Hibernate and Lucene?

Page 31:
Enough for the authors to leave XML in its past.

That was worded odd, maybe

Annotations are so attractive that it even enticed us, the authors, to leave XML as metadata descriptors.

Page 32:

"If you happen to deploy your Hibernate application in a WAR (Web ARchive) either deployed in a naked servlet
container"

Never change the term "naked servlet container", that's hot. smilie

Page 35:
"One elegant way to avoid that is to use in-memory Directory: they are created and destroyed for
every test, practically isolating them from one another."

to

"One elegant way to avoid that is to use (+an) in-memory (-D)(+d)irectory: they are created and destroyed for
every test, practically isolating them from one another."

Page 35:

I would like to argue that if you are using an in-memory database for a test, you are really integration-testing and not unit-testing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing. But you could still be right according to Martin Fowler. (http://martinfowler.com/articles/mocksArentStubs.html). Who knows a bit of a grey area.

Page 36, Example 2.4 & Example 2.5:

I don't know what file this stuff goes into. hibernate.cfg.xml?

Page 38, Example 2.6:

The comments weren't as clear because I have no idea what tokenization is at this point in my reading, nor is it explained immediately after the example.

In the paragraphs afterwards you have "While
we have decided to chunk title and description into individual words to be able to search these fields by word
(this process is named tokenization)"

There will be readers that still won't know about tokenization. Furthermore is it tokenized by space or other can we specify the token delimiter?

Page 39, Note:

Now take(-s) this analogy with a grain of salt because
this one(+-)to(+-)one correspondence is not always verified: we will come to these more exotic cases later in this
book.

Page 40:
Existing data already are in the database and may never be updated,

to maybe

Existing data already (-are) in the database (-and) may never be updated, (+therefore)...

Example 2.9. Manually index object instances

The example doesn't show how you got the items or where you put the lookup, within the tx bound or out. I'd be really interested in that.

Page 42...
Because it is responsible for object unicity while
you interact with the session: persistence contexts guarantee that a given entry in the database is represented as one
object and only one per Session (ie. per persistence context).

Unicity was a rough word, not part of regular English.

Page 42, Example 2.10
//Building the Lucene query
String searchQuery = "title:Batman description:Batman"; query string
(1)

Wasn't there supposed to be an AND or an OR there?

Page 45

You probably are aware. Example 2.12. Create a Hibernate Search query runs off the page
john.griffin (36) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 2 Issues I found
We appreciate the time you have put into this but the manuscript still has 3 different copy editors to go through and then a technical editor. The problems you are detailing will be taken care of.

It would be really great if you could examine the content more closely and make sure that we haven't missed or messed up anything.

Thanks for the effort.
Thanks John...

Not trying to facetious or difficult, but how would I know what will or won't be caught by your copy editors/technical editors and what will actually be valuable to you?
Actually, are you looking more for:

"
//Building the Lucene query
String searchQuery = "title:Batman description:Batman"; query string
(1)

Wasn't there supposed to be an AND or an OR there?
"

Something like that where the code examples are off and things like that?
emmanuel.bernard (101) [Avatar] Offline
I think we will ask Sanne to check out feedbacks that came from outside, that will help consolidate and not lose the content.

Thanks for you review Daniel