ciupaz (9) [Avatar] Offline
Hi all,
just a simple question.
Why the layout of the content of the site www.csharpindepth.com is placed excessive to the right of the page, with blank white space to the left?
So I need to scroll every time horizontaly to the right of the html page (I'm using IE 7).

Thanks a lot.

Luigi
tomten (19) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Layout of CSharpInDepth.com
> Why the layout of the content of the site
> www.csharpindepth.com is placed excessive to the
> right of the page, with blank white space to the
> left?

It isn't. Have you tried flushing your IE cache?
jon.skeet (448) [Avatar] Offline
That sounds quite odd to me. While I haven't looked at it in IE for a while, it was fine last time I did so. Could you mail me a screenshot directly? (skeet@pobox.com)

Jon
@tomten
Yes, I've already tried to clear my browser's cache, but nothing changes.

@Jon
I've mailed you Jon two .jpg files of the site.
I hope it was arrived.

Luigi
That's completely bizarre - you haven't even got the menu on the left hand side!

Do you have any other browsers to try it with? I've just tried it with IE7 on my Eee PC and it's fine there.
Any odd plugins you've got configured, or CSS settings anywhere? I can't think of anything that would make it behave like that, but try resizing the browser to see if that helps - perhaps its layout is "stuck" somehow. Really weird...

Jon
Now I'm trying to download the last version of Firefox, install it and try with this browser.
I don't have any particular configuration in my IE7.
Maybe I must try in another pc, but I can't do it at the moment.

Luigi
With Firefox works fine.
I've sent you a mail with the screenshot Jon.
Very weird indeed.
I'll use this browser.

Luigi
Okay, well I'm glad it's in a workable state for you now using Firefox... but I'll try to get to the bottom of what's going on when I get home. At the moment I'm pretty stumped. smilie

Jon
I've now got the same problem in IE6 on my work laptop, and IE8b2 fails in a different but still annoying way.

I'll see if I can fix it up - it's pretty simple CSS after all - but no guarantees, what with all the oddities about IE's layout engine.

Jon
Right, I think I've fixed it. It was an IE6 bug which is fixed by adding some redundant CSS. See

http://msmvps.com/blogs/jon_skeet/archive/2008/09/07/1647029.aspx

for more details. It should now work in IE6, 7, 8b2, Firefox, and Chrome - I don't have Opera or Safari to test it with, but I believe it should be fine.

Jon