The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

blaine.wishart@gmail.com (8) [Avatar] Offline
In section 2.1.2
"This installation requires that a user have administrative privileges on their machine. If they do not have these privileges, an administrator will need to assist them."

I received an odd warning when I installed Silverlight on a machine w/o admin privilege, but basic demos work. Is the statement in error or will I face a problem down the line. I'm especially concerned about IsolatedStorageFile and the Virtual file System.

Perhaps this is left over from 1.x?

Thanks for your excellent work.
chad.campbell (42) [Avatar] Offline
Re: administrative privilege required?
Hi Blaine,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will review the content, attempt to test the scenario and make sure that it is accurate before we print the book. I will say this is the first time I have heard of this exact problem. However, you may be correct in that is left over from 1.1.

We have a great team reviewing the content to make sure this book is technically accurate before print.

I hope this helps,
Chad
I just don't understand this response.

People run Silverlight all the time w/o admin rights. This statement causes people to conclude they don't want to use Silverlight.

There is no need to replicate some obscure scenario. Just run material from the Olympics on an account w/o admin rights. As I suggested before, perhaps there are limitations to Silverlight w/o admin rights. That would be valuable information.

I did not report a problem with Silverlight. I reported what appears to be an error in the book. [The Silverlight installation is extremely small and compact. This installation requiresthat a user have administrative privileges on their machine.]

Best,
Blaine
chad.campbell (42) [Avatar] Offline
Individuals can definately run Silverlight w/o admin rights. However, they cannot install Silverlight without admin rights.
Thank you.
That makes sense.
I happen to know I'm not the only one who misread the text.
Since the book is aimed at developers, an explanation may not be worthwhile. On the other had, it was a business stakeholder who drew my attention to the section.
In any case, thanks for the clarity.
/b