The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Abacus (59) [Avatar] Offline
"LINQ in Action" is much clearer than any of the other books that I have been studying on C# or the .NET framework, but the second-to-last paragraph on page 145 is quite confusing to me. If it has the same effect on other readers, I would suggest rewriting it.

The first two sentences make it seem that the Max and Min operators have to be used differently from each other. After a bit of experimentation, I now realize that they can each be used in either of two ways. It might be less confusing to show both uses of just one of the operators, or, if space permits, to show both of them being used in both ways.

The third sentence does not say what it is presumably intended to say. What it currently says is that the max and min operators have the same effect as each other. What is presumably meant is that using either operator in either of the two possible ways has the same effect.

The fourth sentence is the most confusing to me. The expression "book => book.Price" does not return a bool; so how can one say that some objects satisfy it, whereas others do not? The sentence actually says that "sequences" satisfy the expression, which is even more confusing to me.

The fifth sentence seems OK, but you might want to mention whether the selector can return more than one attribute. (I would assume that it cannot, but I don't know for sure, since this material is new to me.)

The last sentence of the paragraph is completely confusing to me. Does it refer to different kinds of selector, or to the different possible ways of using the Max and Min operators? The use of the word "overload" seems to indicate the former, but saying "one or the other" points more to the latter. I also have no idea what is meant by a "prerestricted sequence." Some examples to illustrate the meaning of this sentence might be helpful.