ruwi (1) [Avatar] Offline
First of all: many thanks for this book!!!

Not being an computer scientist, I feared for years to begin learning and using java in my (database/gui)programming. The learning curve seemed me to steep for my modest targets and I'd have never so much time to get prolific in java.
So I've got prolific in an other (well known, widely applied) environment to program databases with nice-looking GUIs (like many many other DB-programmers also) only because I found enough literature and guidance.

I discovered then Groovy and your book.
While the programming seems considerable easier to learn (than java) and the book is very well written (congratulations) I still miss “every-day-programming-lessons” for the NOT-so-high-skilled-programmer.

I certainly red very excited the chapter about SQL and DataSets in Groovy.
Yet I can with the console-output only admit, that it works nicely.

But I cannot simply begin herewith to code a database-application for my research-colleagues because I'd need also an easy to follow tutorial about all the tricky two-way-binding of the database-data to a graphical-gui (what is to doOutside(?)), with validation, triggers on user-moves with repercussion on data-backend, master-details, tables/grids and forms etc. Somehow I could maybe find mostly of the disparate informations but never together.
I get mostly of the ingredients, but never the recipe to cook my needed specialities. It remains, that each cook will need to invent and to risk to produce SUBoptimal results.
So I'll never get prolific with Groovy in my Database-niche.

For that, I'd need _supplemental_ chapters/tutorials "for-the-database-programmer", which I could follow from A to Z and get a functional gui-result for my data. This would be for interest for all programmers, since mostly programs today handles data in some way...

THAT'S MY SUGGESTION FOR AN EXTENSION OR A SUPPLEMENT TO YOUR BOOK IN THE NEXT EDITION. OR MAY BE FOR AN ENTIRE NEW BOOK CUT ON THIS NEEDS.

ALSO WOULD BE AN ASSOCIATION FROM GRAILS-SERVER TO A GROOVY-FRONTEND ON THE CLIENT VERY APPRECIATED.

Without this, I must now still stay by my work-in-progress with the only system I (easily) learned, from which I wanted (since years) to break out smilie
Unless you know a source on the Net for such a groovy tutorials? smilie

Regards
Ruwi