The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mosaic (6) [Avatar] Offline
Re. the first sentence in the second paragraph on page 44 (second printing, March 2007):
"In this case, 2 is a syntactically complete statement, ..."

This is all very well, but the prompt actually changes to a nested prompt on the second line. This indicates that Powershell recognises that the overall statment is not yet complete. However the only way I can now continue without causing an error is to type a closing bracket at the start of the second line. The error message hints at this by saying that the error occurred at the first character of the second line, but this is way too subtle.

Thanks all the same for this example, it did help to teach me that when I know that a statement is not complete, it is proably best to get into the habit of ending the line with a backtick to avoid surprises.