The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

jpschroeder (2) [Avatar] Offline
I'm brand new to the board, so hello to everyone. This problem is somewhat a css issue and somewhat a javascript issue I was really unimpressed by most of the opensource calendar options so I decided to write my own (I will release it when I'm finished) and use scriptaculous and prototype to power all the pretty ajax and effects. I've been working on it for about a week now, and have run into an issue with drag/drop via scriptaculous. Its actually quite a simple problem really, but I don't know how to fix it.

On page load I instantiate the Draggable elements (every event), and the Droppable elements (each day's TD). The problem is, that when scriptaculous makes an element droppable, it sets its "position:relative" on that object. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but for some reason, in internet explorer, and in firefox, every element that has position:relative set and is rendered AFTER the that specific Draggable element is on a higher "layer", and thus when dragging over them, the draggable element is hidden underneath. This is kinda hard to explain in words, please check out the calendar in development here:

http://www.theporchlife.org/calendar.php

try to drag an event on a specific day (fyi firebug makes dragging slow), if you drag it over days that were rendered BEFORE the event, it is visible, but it is hidden underneath on days rendered AFTER the have position:relative. I've tried playing with the z-index on elements to fix this but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas of what to do I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks