The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

cneville (2) [Avatar] Offline
I have a group of users on a college campus connecting to XP's running in a VDI setup. Depending on what building/Subnet a user connects from via a thin client, I need to map a public printer located in that building/subnet. I thought of doing it based on the IP address of the thin client if I can find it using WMI, .Net, etc on the XP desktop.

If anyone knows where I can find the IP, I would appreciate it.
dmerida (13) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Finding ip address of thin client connecting to XP via RDP
Using WMI, simply type this command:

PS > gwmi win32_networkadapterconfiguration -computer computername

By default, it will display the IP address (and other information) for each network adapter on that machine. If you need more information besides what is provided by default, pipe that command to get-member to see all properties that are available to you.
cneville (2) [Avatar] Offline
I am trying to find the address of the thinclient connecting to the XP machine, not the ip address of the XP which I believe this does.
dmerida (13) [Avatar] Offline
I'll be honest, I am not familiar with thin clients as I have worked around fat clients all my life. I don't know how thin clients are named on a network, so other than a computername or a fully qualified domain name, I wouldn't know how else to ID a thin client (which would help make my previous command work).

This is the only information I found on the web that explains accessing terminal server properties using WMI:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx?mfr=true

I hope this helps