The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ReneX (4) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Jon,

I really enjoy doing a lot of research revolving C#/.Net topics and find myself always learning something new through your website and posting on the C# newsgroups.

I recognize that you really know your C#/.Net stuff and I really think that reading your book will provide me and many others with a lot of cool insights regarding the C#/.Net subject.

However, I find myself getting increasingly frustrated by seeing all the new stuff that Microsoft is coming out with and not being able to keep pace with it. I don’t consider myself to be a C#/.Net beginner (I think of myself as intermediate) but I realize that I still have ways to go before I can think of myself as someone that can be considered an authority on the subject.

Having said that, I was wondering if I can get your opinion on what you would recommend someone like me should do in the next couple of months/year regarding C#/.Net research. My options the way I have them planned are as follows:

1) Spend a couple of months (free time I have after work) going through your book and get more comfortable with the C# 2 & 3 language.
2) Move on and start learning about the new WPF, WCF, WWF etc, and use our book for now as a sort of reference books.

Like I said, I feel pretty comfortable programming with C# 2 but I am just starting out with C# 3. Since I have not read your book, I am not sure how much of your book is tailored towards C# 3 subjects.

Also, it getting harder and harder for me to find the time to do research so I want to maximize the time I have and research subjects where I can get the most bang for my time.

Your feedback is appreciated.