The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

limitedwave (2) [Avatar] Offline
Greetings and kudos to you sirs on writing such a thorough book. I'm frustrated and about to give up on GWT and here's why. I develop almost anything - I coded the Flash video engines found on the 49ers.com and az cardinals NFL site...I write CMS systems with PHP/MySQL, etc etc. From all that I read this stuff should be a cakewalk. I d/l'd the gwt kit, and after much trial and error figured out how to get it to generate site/structure. I couldn't find any tutorials out there that would lead by example - only the highest level stuff. So I found myself buying this book because of all the examples I saw in it! Too bad I've made the Tic Tac Toe one work and that's it! I started moving into Chapter 2 and immediately nothing works. I entered in the code off the pages twice and got piles of errors in Eclipse both times. Then I came here and downloaded your files - got a whole other pile of errors. Then read the forum, it said try these other source files - and yes, a whole other pile of different errors. And take my word - I'm not the average doofus...not a hard core programmer, but no slacker either.

Is it not possible to use this system simply? As in, generate a project structure, import the classes you're interested in, place the proper code and shazaam? Like the simple Hello World app...? Am I dreaming or just moronic?

Thanks.
limitedwave (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Mind numbing.
OK..having gone through some deeper pages of posts I see others have had similar and sometimes identical problems as I have. Apologies for my negative post, diving back in!