The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

george.corliss@marquette.edu (4) [Avatar] Offline
I hope you'll be doing a careful English edit. Better yet, use a good technical editor. In the first few pages, I've noticed several punctuation errors, e.g., compound sentences with no comma.

I don't mind an informal writing style, but I do not accept it as a license for incomplete sentences and other examples of incorrect grammar.

p. #7, line 7: Missing space after period. As I recall, spaces after punctuation was a challenge for you.

Similarly, I hope the manuscript is reviewed by a good layout editor to check such things as consistent spacing around figures, footnote keys, etc. Some paragraphs are indented; some are not.

If you refer to a figure or a listing by number, you do not need to say "above" or "below." That reduces errors if the compositor happens to move the figure or listing.
dhanji.prasanna (37) [Avatar] Offline
Re: English editing
Hi Dr. Corliss!

Thanks for the valuable suggestions. This is an unedited draft and will go through all kinds of rigors (I currently have a development editor reviewing them), and then copy-edited, proofed, etc. Likewise, spacing, illustrations, code annotations, and layout, are still in raw form; and are only finalized by the typesetter, I believe.

I actually do not like saying figure "below" etc., but this is a writing obligation of the Manning guide. I will speak in more detail to my editor about this.
Thanks!

Dhanji.