The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

derekgreer (3) [Avatar] Offline
Dhanji,

In section 1.4.2 on the topic of C# containers, I would recommend avoiding a comparison between StructureMap and Object Builder. Object Builder is a framework for building dependency injection containers (actually, its an object factory pipeline useful for implementing a host of creational constructs). StructureMap could in theory be built using Object Builder. I don't believe a feature comparison is fair, since one is a framework and another is a container with its own facilitating infrastructure components. As a framework, Object Builder would probably win in its level of abstraction and extensibility. As an out-of-the-box container, StructureMap would definitely win. As an internet browser, they both fall short smilie

On a related topic, I would definitely try to include a short inclusion of the new Unity container which was to be released on March 15 (though this release date has been pushed). It would be a much better basis of comparison. Given that it is from Microsoft, it will also quickly become a well known container within the .Net community.

Derek
mkamonster (4) [Avatar] Offline
Re: C# Container Comparisons
I would agree here. A chapter or at least a section about Unity needs to be part of the book. If it wouldn't fit in flow of the chapters it could be part of an appendix. I've been using the Unity DI Framework which is in CTP right now. I know it's not very mature on features, but it's a start. Is the Windsor container part of the book? I've not been part of the MEAP, but I have some ideas smilie.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Mark Monster
dhanji.prasanna (37) [Avatar] Offline
I do realize that about objectbuilder. Actually, the same could be said about PicoContainer and Guice (or Spring for that matter). But it can be used on its own too. It is difficult to classify libraries without missing some angle of division.

I'll look into Unity. Unfortunately the book is very light on C# examples and containers (following chapter 1). Though the patterns described apply more or less equally to all platforms.

This may be something I can look at improving soon.

Dhanji.
Mark,

I had a few Windsor/Castle examples in chapters 2 & 3, but removed them since they felt repetitive.

What are your ideas on Windsor? Would love to hear them...

Dhanji.
edavid (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Dhanji,

The chapters you've released so far look interesting, I particularly enjoyed the examples in Spring in chapter 2. I'm in the process of evaluating different .NET dependency injection frameworks at the moment, including Spring .NET, Unity and Castle. Would it be possible for you to post the sample codes for Windsor/Castle in the forum somewhere? That would be very helpful from a C# perspective.

Thanks,
Elaine
Hello Elaine

Thanks for your message. That sounds interesting. I'll see what I can do over the weekend, with the Windsor content.

Dhanji.