Agostino (4) [Avatar] Offline
I've an acro form that can regularly be filled with acrobat reader, and can be saved.

When i fill the form with iText, setting setFormFlattening(false), i can fill the forms again, but acrobat reader prevents me from saving the form.

The message is:
"...You cannot save data typed into this form. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records"

I ask myself what document property has been changed since i filled the document, or rather if the document has been corrupted.

tanks in advance
Agostino
blowagie (284) [Avatar] Offline
Re: can't save a form after it's filled
This is not an iText specific question, but I'll answer it anyway.

Initially you had a Reader Enabled form. This Reader Enabling can only be done with Acrobat products: a hash of the document is encrypted using a key that is the property of Adobe. Reader decrypts the hash and compares it with the hash of the document. If they correspond, the document is Reader Enabled.

In your case, you change the document (by fulling fields), and as a result the encrypted hash doesn't correspond with the hash of the (altered) document. Therefore the document is NO LONGER Reader Enabled. This is a simple, technical fact.
There is NO FREE TOOL that can restore this Reader Enabling. If you found one, it would probably be illegal, as Reader Enabling is one of the features that makes money for Adobe.

If your requirement is to fill out a Reader Enabled form and end up with a form that is Reader Enabled, you HAVE TO USE expensive Adobe software. You won't be able to do this with any free product.