The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

shekhar.otari (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I am very new to GWT (started working just 2 days ago on GWT). I have overall experience of 4 yrs in Java and J2EE. I want to know the following thing.

How GWT communicates with the existing servlet if the servlet returns the object in the form of response?

The code in the servlet is as follows:
ObjectOutputStream oos = new ObjectOutputStream(servletOutputStream);
oos.writeObject(sw);

sw is the object of any Serialized class which has one String variable name and provides setter and getter methods for it. The Response class in GWT available through ResponseBuilder provides only method getText() to read the response from the server.

Kindly help.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandrashekhar
robert.hanson (173) [Avatar] Offline
Re: How GWT communicates with the existing servlet?
Assuming you have the book, check out chapter 10. If not, it is a free download from the book site (http://manning.com/hanson/).

The short answer is that you can't do it that way.
shekhar.otari (7) [Avatar] Offline
Re: How GWT communicates with the existing servlet?
Thanks Robert for your reply. I just started reading the book. I haven't reached to chapter 10 yet. I will read that chapter, think on it and get back to you soon.