The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

acacac (6) [Avatar] Offline
hi. just got the book and it looks v good. i have a question about report types that doesn't appear to be answered however and would be grateful for any opinions etc...

i am developing a commercial web application which will be installed using various versions of sql server. i want to bundle reports with the app. should i use local or server-based reports and if i use local, is it possible to dynamically configure the connection string via say web.config?

many thanks for any help.

EDIT: i see the book on p5 says that sql express doesn't support the management studio but on one of my dev machines i have it up and running. is there something i'm missing?

EDIT: i think that chptr 11 goes a long way to addressing this. it's giving a lot of overview info about the use of the 2 modes (local and remote) which is *very* useful.