The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

JanSte (5) [Avatar] Offline
I've just tried the 10.8 Example and the .Where(...) doesn't work, It returns a bool instead of a int. There is 2 overloads, if I use this instead it works
.Where((x, i) => x%2 != 0)

/ Jan
tomten (19) [Avatar] Offline
Re: 10.3.2 .Where and overloads
> I've just tried the 10.8 Example and the .Where(...) doesn't work (...)

Works fine here. Do you have meapch13?
mgravell (64) [Avatar] Offline
Listing 10.8? It works fine for me... in my version the Where is:

.Where(x => x%2 != 0);
> in my version

If you specify which version of the book you have, it will make things less confusing. I suspect the OP doesn't have meapch13, for example. And your version matches the one in meapch13, so I suspect you do.
JanSte (5) [Avatar] Offline
Found it. I have lot of examples in my project, and this causes the problem
public static IEnumerable<bool> Where<T>(this IEnumerable<T> list, Func<int, bool> f) {...);
It's my own overload that causes the problem

Thanks for the help guys.
smilie

/ Jan
As I recall, the only other MEAP version was chapters 1-9; since this doesn't include the cited section, I felt it redundant.
> It's my own overload that causes the problem

I guess you could say that we have a case of "overload overload" here.
>It's my own overload that causes the problem
Very easily done.
The issue of extension resolution is one that I know Jon is painfully aware of (see his recent blog entries on msmvps).

It doesn't help that intellisense doesn't make it obvious where it is coming from; however, F12, or "go to definition" both indicate this oh-so-important detail.
jon.skeet (483) [Avatar] Offline
I'd just like to thank my support team for all their efforts smilie