The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

matt2008 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I'm interested in how the author and the design team of PowerShell would answer this question. I've been reading through the book and I think it's great so far. Section 1.1 is titled just that, "What is PowerShell?". It says "The overall goal of this project was to provide the best shell scripting environment possible for Microsoft Windows." and "...the PowerShell language and runtime were designed from scratch to be an optimal environment for the modern Windows operating system.". Then in Chapter 9 (Errors,...), it says "Its primary purpose is to be an automation tool for managing Microsoft Windows."

So I haven't used PowerShell very much yet, but I was viewing it as something similar to what Sec.1.1 stated rather than Ch.9; they seem to be conflicting statements because they are both referring to the main purpose of the tool. It seems to me that the Ch.9 quote could imply a product that is not designed to handle huge sets of data efficiently. I'm concerned because the types of applications I would like to use PowerShell for are not really Windows management, but rather as a data pipeline for various transformations, like compression, encryption, split, combine, ftp, etc.