dpriest (3) [Avatar] Offline
walking my way through your e-book...

about 3 months experience with flex, about 3 days with ruby/rails...

running rails 2.0.1

on chapter 3.2

run command...

rake rails:freeze:edge TAG=rel_2-0-0_PR

results in ...

f: ubypomodo>rake rails:freeze:edge TAG=rel_2-0-0_PR
(in f:/ruby/pomodo)
ERROR: Must have subversion (svn) available in the PATH to lock this application to Edge Rails

not clear what should be done next - may be more common as folks read your book as this is the version of ruby just downloaded.

any help welcome.

thanks in advance,

dp
peterarmstrong (94) [Avatar] Offline
Re: 3.2 Freezing
Hi,

I've realized that this causes a lot of people issues. I've already updated the next draft of the book, but here it is briefly (notes for the next book draft)...

This section is optional. You can follow along with the book (except for the part where I tell you to read source code in vendor ails) just fine even if you skip this section. So, if you have problems following along, please skip ahead to section 3.3. This section also requires that you have Subversion installed and working from the command line. To check, type svn --version at a command prompt: you should see a version of svn listed, something like "svn, version 1.4.2". If you need help installing Subversion see appendix A.

. Recall that in section 2.1.2 you chose to install either the latest and greatest version of Rails 2 or to install the release candidate version (1.99.0, also known as RC1) of Rails 2 that was used during the copy edit of the book. In this section, you are choosing to freeze to a specific version of Rails. To freeze to the release candidate version RC1, run the following command from inside the pomodo directory:

To freeze to the 2.0 release of Rails, run the following command from inside the pomodo directory:

c:peterflexiblerailscurrentpomodo>
rake rails:freeze:edge TAG=rel_2-0-1
...tons of output omitted...

[typesetter: please format this command line just like the command line above]

I kind of regret including this, since people have issues. However, I thought it was important to explain, even if it's tricky / error-prone...

Does this help?

Thanks,
Peter
good morning peter,

i'm pretty conversant in flex now, but clearly have lots to learn on the rails side. i'll review your response and do some additional reading on freezing. i'm sure your comments will help both me and others who follow. once the coffee kicks in, i'll let you know if i have problems.

let me finish with a big THANK YOU for the effort you have put into this book.

i've spent the last 2 months reviewing client and server options - from traditional php/html through javascript and enumerable frameworks.

i had spent this past weekend doing literally hundreds of searches to find recommendations on how to connect flex-sql. there are choices out there - but for the uninitiated (moi) it is not clear which way to proceed - either in terms of documentation or examples.

the direction was pointing to ruby/rails - but there was nothing firm to make the decision.

i eventually landed on some slides you presented - which i followed to your book.

i'm in the very early stages; your book has definitely given me insight on how to proceed further and faster.

you've developed a very valuable resource here.

i wish i had found it 2 months ago!

i'm making notes in the margins of the book as i go (as a rails neophyte) and if you'd like, i can send them as i make them or bulk send them to you.

thanks again,

dp
Hi,

Please send any suggestions for improvements to peter@ruboss.com (or post them here). Any bugs should definitely be posted here so others can see them and the resolution.

Most improvements will be queued for the eventual second edition (hopefully a long time away) since the book is already in typesetting. However, bugs or things which cause reader confusion are important to fix ASAP (or at least so I can note them in a footnote).

Thanks,
Peter

P.S. I was really unresponsive earlier on this forum since I hadn't turned email messaging on. Hopefully this should improve now.
will do. to avoid cluttering the forum, i'll e-mail you and you can decide to post if it will help the readers.

i'm on page 93 now - no bugs - mostly clarifications that usually (i find) you bring up later in the text.

i don't get hung up on the flex (experience helps) - it's the rails that slows me down because of my lack of experience.

take care,

dp

p.s. is there a version of the appendices available for review? the pdf i downloaded does not appear to include them so i could not get the info on installing subversion (my web search led to more rails confusion on my part...)
Unfortunately the appendices didn't make it into the MEAP. For now, look at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoUseRailsWithSubversion for Subversion and download Subversion from http://subversion.tigris.org/