The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

robwilson (3) [Avatar] Offline
I'm still following the book smilie But on page 82 it explains about the fact you need an inherit element with com.google.gwt.user.User (because most applications will use it).

I wanted to know more, so I loaded the GWT javadocs, and that package structure is not listed, and when I tried to show all classes in the java doc, I don't see 'User' listed either.

I was hoping to find additional information about what the User class is all about - i.e. is it 'User Interface', or 'User login', the context is not clear.

So my question is, if it's not in the javadoc, is that because it's not documented, or does this get mapped to another package and class?

Oh, and what does it do!? smilie
adam.tacy (269) [Avatar] Offline
Re: com.google.gwt.user.User - Not listed in javadoc
Hi,

Now you're hitting a subtlety in GWT between GWT modules and Java packages - they are somewhat similar but different; rather more in parallel.

Each GWT module has a definition which contains lots of information about it, including where the source files are (if different from standard location) where the resources related to the module are located and various other information.

It's quite common to locate these module definitions within the java package structure, but they are not part of Java, which is why you can't find it in the JavaDoc. If you look in the file structure of the gwt-user jar file, then you will see a file called /com/google/gwt/user/User.gwt.xml - it is this file that you are telling GWT to inherit.

That's a bit of a short overview, and its a bit late here in Sweden, so I would point you in the direction of chapter 9 which goes into this in more detail and clarity; to answer your last question, page 321 goes into some detail on what the User module contains and does.

Hope that helps!

//Adam