The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

PayamFard (23) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there,

I have an application build on top of JSP and Servlets. I have converted my JSP pages to GWT panels. Now, I want to integrate my new GWP panels with my existing servlets. Any thoughts/pointers/tutorials/examples on how I can do this?

Best,
Payam
robert.hanson (173) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Integrate GWT-Servlets
> Any thoughts/pointers/tutorials/examples on how I can do this?

We could probably write a whole book on that topic. My suggestion is to look at what data needs to be send from the client to the server, and visa versa. Once you have the inputs/outputs defined you should then decide on the appropriate RPC mechanism, perhaps even a mix of mechanisms. Just because GWT comes with GWT-RPC doesn't mean that it is always the right approach.

Often, when I need to only send a confirmation message to the client, I use a REST request from the client to the server, and on the server I implement it as a simple servlet or spring controller that prints out the output.