The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

grs1969 (2) [Avatar] Offline
The main point of the Active Service pattern is for the service to gain autonomy.

This can be achieved by having the service actively make periodic calls to other services to retrieve data that can then be stored - as described in the text.

Another way is have the service subscribe to a asynchronous data feed associated with the other service. The first service would then no longer be "active".
arnonrgo (62) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Should Active Service be renamed "Autonomous Service"
I names it "active service" after the "active object" pattern
The purpose of "active object" is different (it is a concurrency pattern) but it also has the idea of adding a thread of execution to the object

Regarding having the service subscribe to asynchronous data feed - it is a different pattern since what we need is for the "other services" to push the data out. I called this "inversion of communications" and it is described in chapter 5
You can also read an article that talks about applying this approach which I published in InfoQ - http://www.infoq.com/articles/BI-and-SOA

Arnon