marce (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I create a document pdf with iText, it's a great tool and i thank you for made it free, but I need to make an Index based on the location of the content.

I put the page number in the page on the even onEndPage, that was the easy part, the hard part and i don't know how to do it, is an index at the beginning of the document.

In the console output i can print the page number in which each part of the content is going to appear with this function: writer.getPageNumber()

The only problem is how to refresh the content of the index of the document if this was added before of knowing the position of the content parts.

I read in the api documentation about IndexEvents but there isn't an example to see how it works.

Thanks for your valuable help.

Message was edited by:
marce
blowagie (284) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Numbered Index
Section 14.1.3 deals with reordering pages.
Basically there are two approaches:

(1) You create the PDF without the page numbers, then create a new PDF in a second pass (PdfStamper), adding new pages at the beginning of the document with insertPage, stamping the page numbers on all the following pages.
(2) Create the document as you are doing, add the index at the end with a different page numbering (i, ii, iii, iv instead of 1, 2, 3, 4), then reorder the pages so that the index comes first.

br,
Bruno