joelf (8) [Avatar] Offline
A quick search shows that there is more than 20 references to Java in the 6 first chapters! OK, we've learned that you were a Java dev. but this book is about Ruby, isn't it? Or is Java knowledge a prerequisite to read your book?

Now pragmatic...:
- page 108 you wrote «The toString() function (#5) works the same way as it does in Java, returning a String to display for the object.»
=> please instead wrote: «The toString() function (#5) works the same way as the to_s() does in Ruby returning a String to display for the object.»

- in page 158 you wrote «an ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound exception will be raised, which we handle with a rescue (#5) statement (the Ruby version of catch in Java)»
=> your book is about Flex and therefore about ActionScript3, isn't it? So why not to write this sentence like: «an ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound exception will be raised, which we handle with a rescue (#5) statement (the Ruby version of catch in ActionScript)»?

Ok, sorry, I’ll try to stop now (a quote of yours from p 121) and encourage you to update such references to other languages. Take this note as a smile in front of some of your comments and thoughts in an imperfect world we are living in yet and that you expose like «Argh, if I continue like this I’m never going to write anything» (p. 120)...

Warm thanks for your book! Next chapters wanted! Thanks a lot...
peterarmstrong (94) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Java? or Ruby and ActionScript?
Sorry for the very late reply...

Many readers have a Java background; referencing it is a shared context for many people. In fact, I am willing to bet that the average reader of my book has more Java experience than Ruby experience--that's certainly true for me. You can see that I still define many things in relation to Java--I spent so many years thinking in Java I can't help it. However, you are right that I should also reference the Ruby equivalents. Added to my queue...
joelf (8) [Avatar] Offline
Actually I also have a Java background (after a Smalltalk one)...!

My post is simply related to my understanding that you are writing a book to teach readers learning Flex and Ruby. So you catched it, go on and «reference the Ruby equivalents».
peterarmstrong (94) [Avatar] Offline
Point taken. I added the references where applicable.

Note that comparing Flex to Java is also a useful thing to do--even in this book--since Java (and the needs of Java programmers) heavily influenced Flex. But you're definitely right that I should be referencing the Ruby equivalents smilie